Earlier this year, the Weingart Center held a community meeting to discuss its plans to construct two ground-up housing projects adjacent to its headquarters in Downtown Los Angeles.

The proposed developments, filed with the Department of City Planning this past February, would rise on two sites near the intersection of 6th and San Pedro Street, replacing a City-owned parking lot and a cluster of small commercial buildings already owned by the non-profit organization.  A full buildout of the projects could generate more than 1,000 units of permanent supportive and affordable housing.

Renderings from San Diego-based Joseph Wong Design Associates portray two contemporary high-rise structures, rising 19 stories in height.  Each features open-air decks at multiple points, as well as ground-floor commercial space.

Per the Weingart Center website, the initial phase of the project would consist of 278 rental units - 80 percent of which would be set aside as permanent supportive housing, and the remaining 20 percent of which would be traditional affordable housing.  The 210,000-square-foot building would feature one-228 efficiency units and 50 one-bedroom units, in addition to on-site supportive services, a multipurpose area, fitness facilities and green space.

Chelsea Investment Corporation is serving as the developer of the projects.

Completion of an initial phase is anticipated in 2021, according to the project website.

Image via JWDA
Image via JWDA
Image via Google Maps

From the Web

The City of Los Angeles Isn’t Creating As Much Housing As It Used To. Why?

"Starting two years ago, things started to change in the City. A series of policies were enacted that have made it much more difficult to create housing...."

If every jurisdiction in California addressed housing the way the City of Los Angeles has over the past few decades, the state would have nothing close to the crisis we have today.

In Los Angeles, planning case timelines are some of the fastest in the state. Unlike other jurisdictions, the City has honored state laws that mandate cases that conform to zoning be approved. Historically, fees have been low. The processing of permits and inspections are better than any jurisdiction I have worked in during my career.