The multipurpose facility, which is being developed by the non-profit Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC), is slated for a nearly one-acre site at 229-249 S. Los Angeles Street.
According to the Budokan's official website, features will include:
- Two regulation basketball courts with wood flooring and backboards donated by the Los Angeles Lakers.
- 16,000 square feet of contiguous open space for martial arts tournaments and other activities.
- A rooftop garden space with green space, a walking path, and event space for up to 500 persons.
- Two community rooms for classes and meetings
- A commercial kitchen
- A mezzanine with a viewing deck and an outdoor children's play area
The project, which will target LEED Gold certification, is being designed by Los Angeles-based architecture firm Gruen & Associates.
As of August 2015, LTSC has raised more than 80% of the $23.5 million needed to begin construction.
For more information, please visit www.BudokanofLosAngeles.com.