Located at the northwest corner of 6th Street and Alexandria Avenue, the Morgan, Walls, and Clements-designed building is a companion to the Chapmarn Market across the street, which is highlighted by its thick concrete walls and "ornate, Churrigueresque towers," according to the Los Angeles Conservancy. At the time of its opening in 1929, the complex was among the first markets on the West Coast designed with the automobile in mind, with a large rooftop sign beckoning motors to park in an inner courtyard flanked by grocers.
As of September 2018, local developer Elkwood is in the process of converting Chapman Court's upper floors into 45,000 square feet of offices, while retaining 28,000 square feet of existing ground-floor retail.
The renovation of Chapman Market, designed by KFA Architecture, will activate the building's roof levels and 5,000-square-foot rear courtyard as tenant amenity spaces.
Chapman Market, a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument since 1988, follows in the footsteps of the the Abbey and the Hotel Normandie - two neighboring 1920s buildings that have recently been restored and reactivated.
- Koreatown (Urbanize LA)