The 12-story building, located at the southwest corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Catalina Street, opened in 1957 as the West Coast headquarters of the oil and gas company Texaco. The sleek mid-rise structure, designed by architect Welton Becket, included more than 180,000 square feet of commercial space as well as an adjoining parking garage.
Jamison's reimagining of the 62-year-old building transforms its interior into 216 units of multifamily housing while retaining existing street-fronting retail space along Wilshire and Catalina.
Its rear parking structure, built along with the tower in the 1950s, is now capped by four levels of wood-frame construction containing an additional 120 units of housing.
Both projects were designed by ShubinDonaldson, with DFH Architects serving as architect of record for the adaptive reuse project and Corbel Architects serving as architect of record for the low-rise building.
The housing development, called The Crosby, is on pace to open in early 2020.
Jamison is slated to follow the adaptive reuse project with ground-up construction nearby. A follow-up to the Crosby, slated for a property at 689 S. Catalina Street, calls for the construction of an eight-story structure containing 61 units of housing.
- 685 S. Catalina Street (Urbanize LA)