South Bay Partners, a national developer of senior housing communities, has announced plans to construct a new project near Century City.
The Bellwood, which would rise from a property at 10330 Bellwood Avenue, would provide independent living, assisted living, and memory care living for more than 200 seniors. The proposed development would come with on-site services, including a wellness center with space for yoga, meditation and swimming. Shuttles would be provided for residents to access grocery stores, shopping outings, doctors appointments, and cultural activities.
Designed by Rios Clementi Hale Studios and VTBS Architects, the six-story building would taper down in height as it approaches an abutting residential community. The terraced levels would be used to create landscaped outdoor spaces, complementing plans for a thick tree canopy wrapping around the property and open-air courtyards.
Parking for 140 vehicles would be located on two below-grade levels to reduce the overall building height.
South Bay Partners is working with several educational institutions on the project, including the USC Leonard Davis School for Gerontology.
"This senior care community will serve as a model for providing both high-quality care to residents and opportunities for gerontology students to cultivate specialized skills for providing seniors with the best quality of life possible," said Maria Henke of the USC Leonard School.
According to Steve Afriat, a project spokesperson for The Bellwood, the West Los Angeles area is currently lacking in senior housing accommodations, despite having one of the highest concentrations of elderly residents in the city. The project is viewed as an opportunity to allow older adults living in the surrounding neighborhood to stay in their community and retain their same network of family and friends.
The average age of residents at The Bellwood is anticipated to be 83 years old. The project would set aside 25 percent of its units for couples, while the remaining 75 percent would be for singles.
"The City of Los Angeles recognized the tremendous need for senior care facilities when it adopted the Eldercare Facilities Ordinance to increase housing for our seniors," said Patrick McGonigle, Senior Vice President of South Bay Partners. "Our mission is to fill that need by providing high-quality care for seniors in the most delicate time of their lives."
Construction of The Bellwood is anticipated in 2021, pending approvals by the City of Los Angeles.